Groundwork are now involved with a new grant scheme partnering with One Stop stores across the UK- Carriers For Causes.
Carrier For Causes grants are now available for good causes within two miles of a One Stop shop. Grants, of up to £1000, will be available to support projects that 'benefit local communities- helping to improve lives and local places'.
Types of projects funded will be very broad and will cover the direct costs needed to deliver the project, this could be buying litter pickers ansd bags for community clean up days plants, spades and forks to plant up a new community garden, the cost of a minibus for a day trip for a community group or the materials needed to paint a room at the local hospice.
One Stop's 'Carrier For Causes' is funded through the money raised from the 5p carrier bag charge in One Stop stores in England, Scotland and Wales.
What type of projects are eligible?
- One off community events such as community fun day expenses, summer youth camp, litter picking, day trip costs for community based clubs or organisations , sports events, expenses to pay for terminally ill cancer patients on visits to the seaside.
- Purchasing items to run a project such as specialised medial equipment, football/cricket/netball kit for local junior club, art and craft materials for a workshop, kitchen equipment for a healthy eating project, marketing materials for an event, fishing kit for a youth project.
- Improvements to community buildings such as painting, refurbishing buildings such as hospices, scout or guide huts, school buildings, community centres.
- Improvement to external spaces such as park clean ups, community gardens, hospital/hospice gardens, disabled access projects, food growing projects, woodland walks.
- Purchasing materials to undertake a place based improvement project such as buying paint, litter pickers, gravel, grass seed, plants and benches.
This list is not exhaustive and consideration is given to any projects that meet the programme's aims and objectives.
Who can apply?
Applications can be accepted from a wide range or organisations including:
- Voluntary/community organisations
- Registered charities
- Health bodies
- Sports clubs
- Community day centres
- Parish/Town councils
- Social enterprises
- Community interest companies
- Community councils (Scotland)
- Local authorities
- Social housing providers
- Other non-for-profit organisations might also be eligible
Businesses and 'for profit' organisations are not eligible.