(Usually over 3-5 years)
- Sets out the method for running an organisation over a specific period.
- Reviews the organisation and sets out strategy for the next 3-5 years with detailed operational and financial plans.
- Covers all areas of a business and generally focuses on management, services / products, marketing and sales.
(Every 3 years)
- Sets out the mission, long term objectives and how to achieve them.
- Concerned with the long-term direction of the organisation.
- Provides the framework for decisions.
- Usually covers vision and mission, long-term objectives, key strategies and programs, budget and risk areas.
- Describes the projects and allocates resources (money and people) to achieve the objectives of the strategic plan.
- Usually includes trends, learning from monitoring processes, description of proposed project plans, comments on how activities contribute to the strategic plan, and describes resources required.
- Sets out short-term, small activities aimed at specific objectives with earmarked budgets and limited time frames.
- Targeted on a specific geographic area or at a particular group of people.
Go to the next section - Making it happen
Go back to the Planning page.