Funding raised by the sale of carrier bags will help community groups in your area with grants to carry out activities like:
- Purchasing items which will benefit the local community such as sports kit, specialised medical equipment, art and crafts materials, spades, litter pickers, camping equipment.
- Improvements to a building that benefits the local community such as a Scout or Guide hut, church or village hall, changing facilities for sports.
- Developing an outdoor space play area, allotment, park, school grounds, woodland or wildlife area.
- Running a community event or activity such as fun runs, village fete, clean-up day, tree planting, bird watch.
- Supporting seasonal activities such as purchasing new Christmas lights, supporting a Christmas meal for the homeless.
About the carrier bag charge
Tesco, like other large retailers, is required by law to charge a minimum of 5p for every single-use carrier bag used by a customer. Proceeds from the charge at Tesco will fund grants to support lcoal community projects. The scheme is administered by environmental charity, Groundwork.
Tesco announced on 7 August 2017 that it would replace 5p single use carrier bags with a 'Bag for Life' and would continue to provide funding for Bags of Help.