Groundwork West Midlands is a non-profit, environmental regeneration organisation which forms part of the national Federation of Groundwork Trusts. The Trust was established in 2009 and operates from sites throughout the West Midlands.
Groundwork West Midlands vision is of a society of sustainable communities which are vibrant, healthy and safe which respect the local and global environment and where individuals and enterprise prosper.
The Trust works in partnership with communities and other organisations to deliver work programmes that increase the skills of local people, create job opportunities, and improve the local environment.
The senior management of Groundwork West Midlands recognises that its operations, activities, products and services do have an impact on the quality of life in the communities we serve. Through the Environmental Management Systems and the conduct of its business operations, Groundwork West Midlands is committed to the prevention of pollution and continually improving its environmental performance, and will:
- Implement and maintain an ISO 14001 certified environmental management system
- Comply with all relevant environmental legislation, regulations and other requirements which relate to the company’s environmental aspects
- Utilise resources such as materials and energy in a sustainable manner, using recyclable and re-useable products wherever possible
- Consider environmental issues in purchasing decisions and the planning and design stage of projects
- Set and review, as a key part of our annual business planning processes, environmental objectives and targets in order to ensure continual improvement
- Update and improve company procedures in light of new knowledge, understanding and changes to business activities
- Train employees in their environmental responsibilities
- Communicate the Groundwork West Midlands Environmental Policy to all persons working for or on behalf of the company, the public, stakeholders, partners, contractors, and suppliers
- Make the Environmental Policy available to the public on request
This policy will be implemented within the framework of an environmental management system designed to meet the requiremets of BS EN ISO 14001:2004. A certified EMS has been developed within the Groundwork West Midlands Trust located at Tipton, with the aim of rolling out to Coventry and Stoke sites to assist the organisation in making environmental improvements in its daily operations.
The organisation is also committed to maintaining a healthy and safe working environment for all employees and ensures this by complying with the requirements of the Health and Safety Policy.
It is the responsibility of all employees to implement this policy together with their collective and individual responsibilities.