Electrium are manufacturers of electrical installation equipment with offices in Wythenshawe, Manchester as well as Hindley Green and Cannock.
Last month Groundwork awarded them the Sustainable Business Initiative – Seasoned Level. The Seasoned status is only awarded to sustainable business leaders, who can demonstrate sustainability best practice to their stakeholders and supply chain.
To achieve the Seasoned status Electrium were required to complete a number of sustainability actions spanning across Environment, Health & Safety, Quality and Social Responsibility.
Some of the measures Electrium demonstrated within their award application included:
- Installing solar panels to better utilise renewable energy.
- Creating a green area at their Wythenshawe site, developed and maintained by a team of dedicated volunteers.
- Working with Procure Plus to recruit local people who struggle to find work for a variety of reasons.
- Developing an online wellbeing network for employees positive mental health.
- Mapping and monitoring their waste.
- Donating ex-catalogue electrical equipment to Warrington College to support students on apprenticeships.
- Developing an active working group with worker representation, driving health and safety improvements.
Paul Wilcock, EHS Advisor at Electrium added:
“Electrium have worked with Groundwork for a number of years to help improve our environmental performance and focus on sustainable growth. We previously achieved Gold level in the Green Business Award category. However, when we discussed the new Sustainable business certification process we were naturally very keen to transition across.
This initiative allowed us to focus on things we were already doing to improve our approach to sustainability, whilst also allowing us to provide an effective gap analysis to ensure continual improvement.
We were delighted to have achieved ‘Seasoned status’, recognising our efforts over the years to improve our environmental performance. We are extremely proud to be able to promote this success to our business and our customers.
Thanks to this process we have already identified further improvements we can make to further cement our “seasoned” status and furthermore ensure that Electrium maintains its focus on sustainability and environmental improvements.”
More information on the Sustainable Business Initiative