Groundwork's graduate Volunteer Project Assistant (VPA) Programme has helped over 2,000 people take their first steps into professional careers.
This graduate volunteer/work experience scheme started in the early 90s as a way to provide unemployed graduates with real project management experience and to break the cycle of no job = no experience = no job.
Graduates undertake work programmes in Groundwork Trusts across Greater Manchester for 9 - 12 weeks, and provide support, training, development and networking opportunities to build your CV and your confidence.
There are a range of opportunities to suit your skill set and career path. We currently have placements in area such as:
- Business Development / Conservation
- Youth and Communities / Landscape Design
- Criminal Justice / Sustainable Business Services
- Education / Volunteer Management
What's in it for you?
- Twelve weeks of graduate level responsibility on live projects
- Placements shaped around your vision of a professional career
- Build skills, confidence and employability to impress at interviews
- Work on projects that are changing lives and local communities
- Network with employers and project partners
- Time and support with job search
- Travel expenses, equipment and uniform (if necessary) provided
- You are legally able to reside and work in the UK
- You are unemployed
- You graduated within 12 months OR are about to graduate this year
- You attended a university in Greater Manchester OR live in Greater Manchester if you graduated from another institution
- You have or are working towards a level 6 qualification only (i.e. an undergraduate degree – we cannot currently accept applications from those studying at Masters or PhD level)
The VPA Programme is managed by our sister organisation, Groundwork Bolton, Bury, Oldham & Rochdale.
Groundwork in Action:
Matthew secured full-time employment after spending three months with the SBS team on the Volunteer Project Assistant (VPA) Programme.
Image: Thanks to Salford University