In 2022, Housing 21 began a project to transform two residential bungalows on Brown Edge Road, Oldham, into a Community Centre. They approached Groundwork’s Landscape Architects to support with the transformation of the outdoor space.
After visiting the site and meeting with Housing Officers and Community Centre volunteers the landscape architects set out to design a space which:
- Made the space fully accessible, including a seamless transition from inside to out
- Addressed surface water flooding, caused by a variety of levels in the outdoor areas
- Provided spaces where people could enjoy the outdoors and connect with nature
The final designs featured:
- Wheelchair accessible slops in the front and back entrance
- Raised beds levelling off the surfaces throughout the outdoor space
- Rain gardens
- Sensory planting throughout
- Moveable furniture with a shed for storing it
- In a bid to reduce the garden’s carbon footprint some of the existing concrete flag used at the front of the building were cleaned and relayed at the front
3D visualisations were created alongside the technical drawings to showcase what the space would look like:
The re-landscaping work was undertaken by Groundwork’s landscaping team who fitted all the hard landscaping features and planted new trees and shrubs.
Click below for more information about our landscape design and build services: