ROLE: Horticulture & Employability Tutor
SALARY: £15,000 – £15,600 (FTE £25,000 to £26,000) (Depending on experience)
HOURS: 22.50 hours a week
CONTRACT TYPE: Fixed term to Jul 2023 (with potential to extend)
OPERATIONAL AREA: Devon & Cornwall
LOCATION: Torbay or Plymouth
A unique opportunity to support Young People in Plymouth or Torbay.
Are you a qualified tutor who can deliver Horticulture Qualifications, supporting Young People aged 15+ who are at risk of, or who have become disengaged from education and employment, inspiring and motivating them to explore the opportunities that working in the Natural Environment sector could offer?
Working on the Skills for Young People Project, you will work with groups of Young People, aged between 15 to 24 who are at risk of, or who have fallen out of education, training, or employment in Plymouth & Torbay, who have shown an interest in working in the Natural Environment as part of their journey back to education or employment.
You will have a keen interest in helping Young People who have struggled in a traditional school environment, with the skills to support and enable them to either return to education or progress into work through a variety of methods, work placement, Kickstart placement, traineeship, apprenticeship, training placement, volunteering, or employment.
You will be more than a Tutor delivering City & Guilds Qualifications in Horticulture and Employability Skills, you will also be a mentor, offering 121 sessions, working through action plans, often with other stakeholders to support the Young Person with complex personal circumstances that will need the additional support of our partner organisations in Plymouth or Torbay.
You will work in Schools and Community Venues in Plymouth or Torbay, working with small groups of Young People. You will encourage the Young People to take part in social action projects in their local community as part of their learning experience, connecting Young People to place they live, whilst developing their soft skills and resilience.
Together with the Delivery Manager you will build positive relationships with our Stakeholders to enable a steady stream of participants onto the programme, reaching and supporting as many Young People as we can back into education, training or employment.
- To plan and deliver accredited City & Guilds Level 1&2 Horticulture Courses to small groups of learners.
- To plan and deliver accredited City & Guilds Level 1 Employability Skills to small groups of learners.
- To plan and deliver innovative and creative sessions that give Young People the skills they need to enter the work place.
- To complete all participant paperwork with learners including a 121 induction onto the programme, with action plan completed and regular progress reports sent to the funder.
- To blend soft skills development into your sessions to build resilience and confidence with your cohort of learners.
- Ensure work is undertaken to a high standard to meet grant funders and awarding bodies expectations.
- Demonstrate and train trainees and volunteers in the correct use of tools/equipment and safe working procedures.
- Work closely with the Delivery Manager to enable Young People to participate in the courses, remaining flexible to meet the needs of learners with complex needs.
- To work with partner organisations to support learners on their journey to ensure the best possible outcome for the Young Person.
- To work with Employers to source employability opportunities for learners.
- To work with the Delivery Manager to achieve all contract outcomes on the project.
In return we offer:
- 25 days per annum (pro rata) plus English Bank Holidays
- A contributory pension scheme
- Scope to continuing development of your professional skills
- Comprehensive Employee Assistance Programme
If you wish to discuss the role please contact:
James Baggley – Delivery Manager
A job application pack can be downloaded below. Please send to Laura Dyke on email@example.com.
Closing Date: 4th October 2021
Interview Date: TBC
Groundwork South is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and adults at risk. Inline with our Safer Recruitment & Selection Policy and Procedure, successful applicants are subject to references and an enhanced with barred lists disclosure check where applicable to their role.
CVs will not be accepted. No agencies please. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please note that we reserve the right to close applications early in the event of a large response.
We are committed to the employment and career development of disabled people. To demonstrate our commitment we have been awarded the Disability Confident Scheme Symbol, which is awarded by the Employment Service. We guarantee an interview to anyone with a disability whose application meets the essential criteria for the post. If you consider yourself to have a disability and would like to apply under the Guaranteed Interview Scheme please complete the Guaranteed Interview Scheme form listed and submit this with your application.
Groundwork South is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We welcome applications from suitably skilled candidates regardless of ethnicity, gender, disability, sexuality, religion or age. A copy of our Equality and Diversity policy may also be made available to candidates on request.