Please note – this information is being regularly updated as new projects develop.
Keeping On Top of Utility Bills
Groundwork’s Green Doctors have adapted their usual service to provide a free telephone consultation for North East and Yorkshire residents, ensuring as a priority that our local communities can keep the lights and the heating on.
Usually a door-step service, we’ve adapted the provision to ensure that those in need can still receive vital support, providing:
- Emergency help with urgent no-heat situations e.g. broken boilers, no heating or hot water.
- Energy supplier switching advice, to help people save money on household bills.
- Help with utility supplier issues including billing, debt or problems with meter connections.
- Priority Services Register sign-up for vulnerable people.
- Income maximisation and debt advice if in wider financial trouble (including claiming the ‘Warm Home Discount’ and accessing charitable funds).
- Energy efficiency advice to use heating controls effectively – especially whilst people are at home all day.
- Water support – social tariffs, billing, debt issues and accessing additional financial support.
- Signposting to local sources of help e.g. food delivery, food banks, domestic violence & mental health services.
Please phone 0113 238 0601 or email: email@example.com
Groundwork Hull ‘Virtual Shed’
Groundwork runs a number of programmes aimed at bringing people together who are isolated or lonely to share their skills and improve their communities. Many are now being adapted to help people stay connected.
Usually our Men In Sheds project provides an opportunity for individuals to come together in a a fully-equipped wood workshop for older men, providing a social setting built around practical tasks.
In order to tackle enforced social isolation and build an online community, the Groundwork Hull team have created a ‘Virtual Shed’ that invites local communities and regular “Shedders” to share their lock-down DIY projects, make-and-mend advice and tips, up-cycling ideas for the home and videos and inspiration, to get thrifty and rethink your junk!
Join the group via @GroundworkHull facebook page:
Getting Food to Those Who Need It Most
Springhead Park Golf Club in Hull is cooking up a storm in their onsite café kitchen to provide a tasty, nutritious home-cooked meals on wheels service for members of the local community!
The community golf club – that is managed by Groundwork Yorkshire – is producing meals for takeaway or free delivery throughout Hull, offering a variety of hot food, including pies, pasties, quiches, turkey and beef dinners, chicken curry, stew as well as sweet treats and more!
All dishes are low cost to serve every community in need and ensure that vulnerable and elderly people can get regular meals.
Groundwork Hull’s team have been liaising with local food banks to provide extra items, while their small team of volunteers have been delivering up to 100 meals a day!
The team were delighted to receive a special order from Castle Hill NHS Hospital in Cottingham, East Riding of Yorkshire last week to feed their front-line NHS staff workers.
To place an order please call Sandra or Irena from 7am to 3pm on 01482 363 780.