Low Carbon Careers is a training programme for young, unemployed adults wanting to pursue a career in the green economy. Groundwork will be delivering 7 courses throughout 2021 – each course will focus on one of 3 sector specialisms:
- Natural Environment
- Waste and Recycling
- Introduction to Retrofitting
In addition to providing high quality work experience we will also be offering programmes of training and education to support people gain skills and qualifications to enable them to build their career within the environmental and related sectors.
Introduction to Retrofitting – Course Aim
There will be two programmes running between July-September, each programme is 6 weeks long. Each cohort will consist of 10-12 young, unemployed adults looking to build a career in the construction industry. If the applicants are fully committed to the programme and have proven to be suitable candidates, the idea is that they could then get a guaranteed interview with the employer for the vacancy they are interested in.
Introduction to Retrofitting – Course Content
6 Week training course co-delivered with B4Box, mostly classroom / workshop based plus site visits. Scheme of work for each course will include:
- Courses delivered at Qube, Collyhurst in North Manchester
- B4Box delivery partner for workshop skills (‘Taster Sessions’ for Retrofitting skills)
- Introduction to sustainable construction practises and retrofitting, GM and social housing priorities, alignment with construction trades, apprenticeship and career progression, energy efficiency advice
- Workshop sessions covering basic trade skills such as measuring out, assessing quantities, tool handling and cutting; skills relating to draft proofing, insulation measures, windows and doors.
- CSCS green card
- To ensure that training delivered safely observing social distancing arrangements we will split each cohort into 2 groups of 5-6 with half learners in workshop sessions at any one time. We will allow flexibility to extend training provision for this course in lieu of work placements depending on current conditions.
- Customer Services accredited qualification
- Accredited health and safety including sector focused coronavirus awareness, L1 / 2 health and safety, risk assessment and first aid
- Carbon Literacy Certificate
- Industry insight sessions involving external agencies and employers
- Core Employability skills – CV development, job search and applying for work, interview and presentation skills, understanding employer needs and building professional networks
- Practical workshop or site based skills development
- Functional skills embedded within provision
2 week work placement with employer partners (TBC).
4 week post course support with additional job applications, interview preparation, job brokerage plus further 3 months in-work support.
Course Dates and Eligibility
This Low Carbon Careers pre-recruitment course will be delivered over 6 weeks, every day Monday to Friday each week.
- Start Date: 5th July 2021
- Finish Date: 13th August 2021
- Start Date: 16th August 2021
- Finish Date: 20th September 2021
The course will be delivered face to face from the Qube, Collyhurst Manchester.
All young people will need to complete a standard enrolment process prior to starting learning, and will need to meet the following criteria;
- Aged 18- 25
- Currently unemployed
Each person will need to be able to provide their age, identity and address as well as their right to work in the UK. They will also need to have access to equipment and internet to be able to take part in the course. We can provide travel expenses and IT equipment for the candidates.
For more information or to make a referral please contact Liz Simon, Employment Coach & Tutor – Green Economy
07921 810 481